Thursday, May 20, 2010

Nesting

"Around the fifth month of pregnancy, the "nesting" instinct can set in.
This is an uncontrollable urge to clean one's house brought on by a desire to prepare a nest for the new baby, to tie up loose ends of old projects and to organize your world." "Nesting brings about some unique and seemingly irrational behaviors in pregnant women
and all of them experience it differently."
--Parenting Weekly--

I started this first project on a Saturday afternoon while Alex was gone for the day. It was a really hideous wood piece that I bought on CraigsList for $10! But there's nothing a little spray paint won't cover! 4 cans of spray paint, that is. Being applied by me, on a windy day. 6 months pregnant? Irrational? Well, not comparatively so to what I did next. I had the uncontrollable urge to get the project done. So I, by myself, hauled this thing up from the driveway, up our stairs into the girl's bedroom. Min you, it's made of solid wood. Completely irrational. I realized once I started, that I was absolutely out of my mind, and realized at the same moment that if I dropped this thing, it would go straight through the wall at the bottom of the stairs.

The rest of the projects shown were much more feasible and not meant for two grown men to accomplish!

Our fireplace. I have lived with this wood paneled fireplace and adjoining wall for way too long. All the fire place needed was some white paint. The adjoining wall will be dry walled over soon.

And--wah-la...
Now, these blasted "little" poms were quite the project. Since I have a little resentment towards them because they took about 8 hours to make and I burned my fingers at least 30 times with the hot glue, I will not expand on them. But they are pretty, and you can find a good tutorial here and another example of them here.
Dress up chest. My friend Robin and I turned these old suitcases into storage bins for our girls' dress up clothes.
1. Buy an old suitcase at a thrift store for $3-5.
2. Take a horribly blurry picture of the suitcase mid-project.
3. After all the lining has been ripped out, mod-podge paper scraps to the inside. I also lined the edge with ribbon so the uneven paper ends would be hidden. This project could totally work for a little boy's guns and cowboys hats too! Just use "boyish" paper and twine versus ribbon!!

And lastly, this 1/2 random wall in the kitchen just wasn't doin' it for me as it was. So...
With some chalkboard paint and a really cute way to hang cards, coupons, artwork....much better.
I got these little bird clips at this ridiculously cute boutique in Old Town, FC.


Not even close to being finished with projects, unfortunately. Projects in the works: the nursery and the girl's room!!

3 comments:

Jami Nato said...

LOVE all these projects!! see, you craft just as much as me. now post them after you get them done each time. ha!

i love that you painted that wood white...looks so fresh!

Mrs. Legris said...

I love the wall and the suitcase! Never would have thought of something like that :)

jess said...

Great idea with the chalkboard wall, I love it!! The suitcase do over is adorable as well. And of course I love the K monogram letter on the fireplace:)